Friday, September 28, 2012

Learnings from Modea Speaker

Today, Steve Grant came to speak to my class, and let me tell you, it was anything but boring! Grant is an excellent speaker and content he spoke about was very interesting. I could really tell that Grant was excited to be there and really gave it his all. He was very energetic and engaging and did a great job of making me excited about what he had to say. He was extremely entertaining to listen to and he even cracked a few funny jokes.

I have attended several other speakers recently, and have noticed most of the presentations' goals have been to promote their company and also talk about their position within the company. This isn't a bad thing, don't get me wrong. It has been interesting to hear about different companies and the different types of jobs out there. But Grant took a very different approach to his speech. The goal of Grant's presentation was for us to take away valuable knowledge that would help us become successful. He truly wanted to try help us. I loved Grant's presentation because it was focused on delivering useful information to us so we could get inspired and do something great. 

I must say, I was expecting Grant to be like all the other speakers I've heard recently, and only speak to us about Modea, and the job he has there. But instead, he spent most of his time talking about one of his previous accounts, Prudential. He based his presentation off his experience with this company and how he helped them reinvent themselves.The information he shared about this real life project is really going to help me develop a creative brief for Uniqlo. Prudential was having a hard time connecting with their customers and changing their image. He talked about how they needed to bring the outside inside and had to relate to their customers. He explained that understanding the customers and connecting emotionally with them is key.
 He also gave an example of  an unsuccessful SMP that they used, and explained that the reason it didn't really work was because people didn't relate to it and it didn't have a strong meaning. He also talked about the 5 C's (Consumer/Customer, Content, Company, Competition/Category, Collaborators) and how they are an important tool to use when you are developing a creative brief. He also talked about Perceptual Maps, and explained how they can help you position yourself and identify holes in the market.

Steve’s presence in the room was noticed by everyone. He did a great job keeping our attention and teaching us valuable knowledge. I was able to gain a lot of insight listening to him that will help me with my creative brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment